Backup Cron Job

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:38:05 -0700

Hello Fellow PLUGers,
  I have a Linux server running Apache/PHP/MySQL, and want to setup
automatic daily backups for the database. I'm planning to install a second
hard drive to receive the backup data, and will modify the web site to
exclude access while backups occur. I'm wondering if anyone has written
scripts to do similar tasks and would be willing to share some examples. I'm
thinking the script needs to do something like the following:
Stop MySQL
Copy the database files to the backup drive
Restart MySQL
  It also would be nice to get a daily report of disk usage and the size of
the backups. If anyone has any tips or examples they would be much
appreciated.
Thanks,
--
Phil Mattison