installing Debian under VMware

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:26:04 -0700

Has anyone attempted to install Debian as a virtual
machine under VMware, using another Linux machine as
the host?

I've never installed Debian (or at least not for the
last three years), nor some of the other popular
distros, and thought it would be a useful thing to be
able to claim experience with installing them, also
with a view of possibly using them myself. (I've run
exclusively on Red Hat in my own environment.) I don't
have a spare system, but I do have ability to install
virtual machines under VMware using copies of the
software obtained from linuxiso.org. The one I'm most
anxious to get my head around is Debian.

I've got the first CD, but when I boot the virtual
machine from the CD, it wants to install basic
utilities from a floppy because it thinks I don't have
a disk drive, even though I ran through the VMware
configuration wizard to create a new machine.

That's where I stopped.

Maybe I did something dumb in setting that up, but I
don't think so.

Anyone have any clues what I should check next?

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ