Gentoo Linux

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:35:27 -0700

On Saturday 21 September 2002 04:33 pm, George Toft wrote:
> Quick question - What version of xfree86 are they using?  I looked on
> the web site, and short of downloading it and installing it, I cannot
> tell.  I ask, because I need 4.2.99.2 or later, and Red Hat does not
> offer it yet.

Gentoo has normal release packages as well as alpha packages.  The release
packages are listed on the website.. I'm not sure if the alpha packages are
listed anywhere.

HOWEVER, you can see the packages themself in 'gentoo/gentoo-sources' on any
of the mirrors:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/gentoo-sources/

I see the following X packages:
X4299-1.tar.bz2
X4299-2.tar.bz2
X4299-3.tar.bz2
X4299-4.tar.bz2
X4299-20020827-1.tar.bz2
X4299-20020827-2.tar.bz2
X4299-20020827-3.tar.bz2

Not 100% which is which but it sure looks like what you are looking for.

I've been using Gentoo at work now for a few days (expertly installed by
Kevin) and really like it.  It's *by far* the most up to date distro I've
ever used.. and it's trivially simple to keep up to date.  It's like debian
only without the years-out-of-date packages!

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to a newbie (other
than the livecd version) or even a moderately experienced Linux user.  One
sort of gets used to having everything already configured for you when you
use SuSE or Mandrake or the like.  Even debian seems to configure a *few*
things for you.  Gentoo pretty much installs the packages and lets you
loose at the config files.

IF you (not "you = George", this is "you = generic person") are already
Linux experienced and IF you are willing to spend some time waiting for it
to compile and IF you know how to edit all of the /etc files, then Gentoo
is a wonderful distro.  If, instead, you just want a Linux system that is
preconfigured almost exactly right, is easy to use, and can put of with
packages that are a few months(!) out of date, then I'd still recommend
SuSE or Mandrake.
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org