Password Analysis

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:00:10 -0700

As you have seen many times on this list, google is your friend.  A google
search of "linux password check program" gave a large list.  The first web
page in the list (http://www.luv.asn.au/overheads/security/passwords.html)
has references to password checking programs.  I quote:

<quote>
2. Checking passwords

Any good password program should check for trivial passwords, such as the
user's name or words contained in /usr/dict/words.

There are a number of programs that can be used to check passwords. Some of
the more useful programs are:

	pwck checks the validity of each entry in the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
files

	npasswd and passwd+ which replace /bin/passwd with a program that rigorously
checks new passwords that a user enters

	crack which is run against a password file (such as /etc/passwd looking for
easily broken passwords

The fact that tools such as crack are available should encourage you to
migrate to shadow passwords if your Linux distribution does not already
support them.
</quote>

I assume these programs are open source and can easily be spawned by a
different app to get the return value, thereby checking inputed passwords.
Give that a go.  Good luck and happy learning!

Alan