new install problems

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, der.hans wrote:

> Am 15. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Matt Alexander so:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Richard L. Proctor wrote:
> >
> > > shutdown -h now   (turns off computer)
> > > shutdown -r now  (reboots computer)
> >
> > Or, more succinctly:
> >
> > init 0   (turns off computer)
> > init 6   (reboots computer)
>
> On most *NIXen you should use shutdown as it does some other stuff before
> calling init. I haven't ever really investigated it on GNU/Linux, but I'd
> imagine it's a similar situation.

On Linux, init 0 will execute the corresponding line in /etc/inittab.  On
RedHat, this would run /etc/rc.d/rc and then run all the kill scripts in
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d.  There are halt and killall scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
that accomplish the same thing as the shutdown command.  The only real
difference is that the shutdown command will broadcast a message that the
system is going down.
~M