final version of SPAMFILTER HOWTO doc

Scott Henderson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:37:22 -0400 (EDT)

>Am 17. Sep, 2002 schwätzte George Toft so:
>
>> You add users by modifying /etc/passwd with no updates to /etc/shadow.
>> Methinks this is not the optimal solution.  Should they not be kept in
>
>Not when we have tools like useradd, usermod, userdel, groupadd, groupmod
>and groupdel. Those're also easily scriptable.

Hmm.  I must have missed some emails.  I don't see George's
original suggestion(s).  In any case, what's the verdict here, O
wizards?  Should I change the doc to have user accounts created
via useradd?  Note that later in the procedure, I put the text
"NP" in /etc/passwd for the password of each of the accounts
vscan and amavisd.  My understanding is it is thus impossible to
log in using these accounts, and so the accounts are secure.  Am
I off here?

>> You copy the /etc/time zone file to /var/spool/postfix/etc/localtime -
>> wouldn't making a symlink be better?
>
>Postfix might be doing a chroot. I recall there being problems with using a
>symlink for it's copy of /etc/hosts. That might've been my special issue,
>though :).
>
>Normally symlinks would be preferred.
>
>der.hans

Postfix IS running chrooted.  I don't know whether it would work
in this environment or not.  I'll check into that, thanks (I'll
be able to tell if it works by checking the syslog to see if
there are any error messages about access to this, right?)

Thanks for taking the time to help make this a better doc!

Scott