New install NIC problem

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:07:11 -0700

First I looked into the two config files,

ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.254
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes

ifcfg-eth1:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

then I ran ifconfig,

eth0	Link encap: etc
	inet addr: etc
	UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: yadda yadda
	RX packets:
	TX packets:
	collisions:
	RX bytes:
	Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00
lo	several lines here

and finally I tried "ifup eth1" and in short, it failed.

Usually I can fix things by just reinstalling, this time with both of the
cards already installed.
It's a clumsy solution but I don't know how, otherwise.