New install NIC problem

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
12 Sep 2002 22:14:02 -0700

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 21:11, Mark Berkwitt wrote:
> I installed k12ltsp(Red Hat) today and since it's ltsp it set my nic
> "VT3043(Rhine)" to the local network.
> I've been using that nic for my cable modem connection. Since I have a dual
> boot system now, I installed a second nic "DECchip 21041(Tulip Pass 3)" to
> now use for my internet connection for each OS.
> XP took it just fine, but RH was a different story.
> Upon booting it found the new hw and I right away checked the uhhh, you
> know, the auto thing since my isp provides ip's dynamically.
> Further into the boot it brought up the eth0 ok, but FAILED on eth1.
> How do I fix that?
-----
Cable modems lock into the MAC address of the NIC. If you attempt to
change NIC's, you must power the cable modem off for several minutes -
this will cause it to reset, reload it's configuration from the TFTP
servers on Cox's network and permit you to change NIC's.

I know of no other way to do this.

try ifconfig - what does it report?

look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

does it look like... (I'm guessing at this because I don't use dhcp)

DEVICE='eth1'
BROADCAST=''
IPADDR=''
NETMASK=''