ThizLinux (was Re: Fry's $199 Linux box..}

Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:00:49 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. Sep, 2002 schwätzte Tom Snell so:

> What I found exciting and intriguing, though, was the very fact that
> overall development in Asia is proceeding so rapidly.  TurboLinux may
> have had a hard time of it in the U.S. market, but they always did well
> in Japan, which was their main target anyway.  I think this parallels
> the more rapid growth of Linux deployment outside of the U.S. in
> relation to migration from Microsoft products....it is not so unusual to
> imagine at some point in the future that U.S.-based corporations and
> multinationals in general may well migrate to Linux solutions simply
> because their overseas customers demand it, much the way corporate
> America ended up defaulting to Microsoft products as a corporate
> "standard".  The very fact we have a good OSS office suite, and it's
> being modified for every language on the planet by developers in every
> country, is the most encouraging news for all of us.....a wave is often
> barely seen on the surface of the ocean as it travels thousands of miles
> across, only to rear up with immense unleashed power as it meets
> landfall.  Microsoft is fully aware of the tsunami to come...they've
> been riding the crest of their own wave, at an ever greater premium, for
> over 20 years.

We've been thinking wireless was the tech the 'third world' would have to
adobpt that would launch it in front of the 'industrialized world', but it
appears that Free Software is that technology. Foolish us.

We still need free and open standards. OpenOffice, KOffice, AbiWord,
Gnumeric, etc. need to get together and pop out some standards.

> In regards to the $199 boxen with ThizLinux at Fry's, I thought the
> version I saw at LWE was more "polished" than the one I saw installed at
> Fry's, but I may be wrong here because I did not take note of the
> respective version numbers.

Yes, that reminds me, they have profi version and bare bones or something
like that. The boxen come with the cheap version. I don't remember the
differences they listed.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.