was archives -> newsgroup(s) ?

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:57:51 -0700

I beleive the concept was to use newsgroups (or some different mailing list
manager software) as a backed to the mailing list so that it might better be
dynamically linked into a forum system. It seems to me though that the
technology would end up pleasing no one unless there is something really
good that I haven't seen. Without a seamless replacement it would probably
end in disaster.

I am not at this point for or against a forum system for the typical mailing
list traffic, though it should be investigated down the line. At no point do
I think that the mailing should be eliminated or phased out though. I do
think forums would be very beneficial to use in addition to the mailing list
when dealing with the projects PLUG has going. Mainly for centralization,
longevity (searching mailing lists archives is clunky at best) and
convergence so that you can get a picture of everything that is going on
with it at once (also one stop shopping for status and support too).

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.