WAV editor - now about getting it to work?

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 06:00:01 -0700

> Message: 6
> From: Lynn David Newton <lynn.newton@cox.net>
> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:45:53 -0700
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: Re: WAV editor - now about getting it to work?
>

>   cs> I don't know about editing wav files with linux. Seems there are
>   cs> mp3 editors though. You might want to think about editing files in
>   cs> mp3 format then using something like SoX to convert the mp3 file
>   cs> to wav format for writing audio tracks to cd. ...
>
> Thanks, but that's the exact opposite of what I need to
> do.
>
> My client/friend has a new double-CD album already
> listed in Amazon and other distribution services. Since
> he's semi-retired, this is an independent production,
> not something being distributed by a big record label,
> so he has to do this gruntwork himself. Or hire it out,
> which is where I come in. Since I'm doing his Web site
> and will be putting the same samples there that appear
> on Amazon et al, it fell into my hands to do this job.
>
> Amazon et al require MP3 samples. I have a copy of the
> newly minted recordings and have ripped all the tracks
> to WAV files. I need to select several segments from
> them, lopping off the beginning and/or end as necessary
> in the case of those samples that come from the middle
> of tracks, fade in or out as appropriate, and save the
> resulting WAV file. From there converting them to MP3
> is a no-brainer.
>
> But thanks for the thought.
>
> As it turns out he'll probably take it to his recording
> engineer to do it next week. But I'm frustrated that in
> this case, because I'm using Linux, I seem to be
> limited in what I am able to do. That shouldn't happen.
>
> --
> Lynn David Newton
> Phoenix, AZ

Ok, so why not convert the ripped wav to mp3 using SoX then use mpg123 to do multichannel mp3 editing? Ok, so it isn't gui based (at least if you aren't using a RPM distro it isn't) but you can still edit the track however you want and even add effects to it. If you need to convert the edited mp3 back to wav SoX will do that too. Then you can submit the edited mp3 to whomever you want or burn the edited audio to cd for backup.

Craig S.