PLUG website (was Re: class this Wed!)

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:37:50 -0700

Thoreau wrote:
> Of course, like you said, the main focus is to get PLUG's
> limited resources back onto more important things.

A few opinions from the current "webmaster", expecially
about the calendar:

1. It is NO trouble to rotate the calendar, but that's
  if I'm doing it.  There is a little skill involved,
  i.e., just knowing where things are on the site.
  I get messages from people, and weave the messages into
  the page.  The result is a coherent and personable
  feel, which I happen to like (and for which I can
  take no credit -- the site already looked like that).
  The Davis group's site looks too busy, for my taste.

  It would be great to have a web-based maintenance
  system so that more than one authorized person
  (not requiring user-IDs on UnityWave.com) could
  insert or modify calendar items.  But in all reality,
  face it, probably one person will bear this
  responsibility at any given time.  We are a small
  volunteer group.  Each person has a niche, and is
  too busy to branch out and do other stuff.

2. We already DO have a perfectly functional mailing
  list devoted to mainenance of this site:

  People who would seriously like to collaborate on
  maintaining the EXISTING site with specific ideas
  or content should join that list, and we should run
  a somewhat organized "meeting" there.

3. This other content-management stuff is just more
  vaportalk until someone grabs the lead and decides
  to do it.  The access necessary to do that on the
  existing site is probably available -- I am hoping
  to have a handful of accounts set up for people
  collaborating on the site.

Vic