decent curriculum (was: class this Wed!)

Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:15:36 -0700 (MST)

Am 31. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Matt Pruett so:

> I would have to agree, people interested in learning linux know basicly
> how to function in a gui. If your only doing one class per month I would

True, but they're afraid of a new GUI. We need to show them that their
'skillls' transfer to the new system they're learning.

> start them on the shell like most unix classes and show them around the

Been there. Done that. Deer in the headlights is what that'll get us.

> filesystem, explain the boot sequence, then once thats covered at least
> a little bit then have a look at xwindows, its configuration, and
> various window managers and their particulars.

I want to start these classes in X and slowly teach them command line stuff.

It's the same tack I use for 'intro to shell scripting', e.g. give them 3 or
4 command lines that build on each other. After they're familiar with running
them by hand ( it's better if you have them do it enough that they're tired
of running the commands ), have 'em shove the commands into a file, the use
"sh <filename>" to run it. *poof*, they're programmers ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  We now return you to your regularly scheduled paranoia...