PLUG website (was Re: class this Wed!)

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 01:29:42 -0700

I agree that I would like to see the PLUG website not take on a "canned" or
homogenized look, but I think that this is possible with postnuke. For
version 7.1, earlier versions lack some important and useful new features
and older themes do not support them, there are, at my brief count more than
400 themes. There really isn't a lot we could do about the links on left,
itemized scrolling content down center, links features on right layout. I
don't personally mind that because I find it effective and I don't think
PLUG is in the web design business, its job is to empower community
contribution and provide information, self generated content, and links to
resources.

It would be far simpler for PLUG to create its own theme than to program a
content management system, though I would prefer not to do that if at all
possible. I am trying to be realistic and also trying to improve the amount
of impact PLUG has, I don't personally think that web site design and php
coding is at this time the best route. Maybe to plan a transition a year or
more from now and to actually solicit an organized program to recode a site
is an idea, but again to me it just looks like reinventing the wheel. At
this point everyone one plate is full with IF2, IF3, classes and a never
ending lists of other commitments, let alone day jobs.

I can say that postnuke allows for a very nice, multi site, multi themed
setup on one server (or virtual host) and without a lot of database fuss. I
don't want to make it sound like I am 100% postnuke, it just appears that
postnuke currently fits the bill and I haven't seen an alternative that
would work better yet.

I think that if we make a concerted effort to take on a more professional
appearance and to make strides lowering the barriers to volunteering and
contribution, we will see a huge difference (increase) in our ability to
promote linux and free software.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.