Venezuela's Government Shifts to Open Source Software

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:32:00 -0700

On Saturday 31 August 2002 10:41 am, you wrote:
> A second domino falls, apparently before the first.
>
> Note that Dr. Edgar David Villanueva Nuņez is in Peru, not
> Venezuela.  I didn't even hear about the Venezuela thing before.
> Over in Peru, apparently Dr. Villanueva's bill, and an alternative
> bill that he has also signed, are in committee and are making
> progress.

Peru, yes, I should have known better.

> I continue to wonder what the big proprietary software companies
> will be doing in ten years.  I'm trusting that they will find
> (or in many cases, *continue* to find) constructive ways to work
> alongside open source and Free software.

That would take a real shift in thinking on Bill's part. Right now, M$ seems
to be licensing themselves into a corner.

But with $40 Billion in the bank they won't go way soon and will still try to
buy policy makers the world over.

Dennis Kibbe