Using a DMZ for email?

Anthony Hologounis plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:58:07 -0700

Hello

I set up a DMZ to run http, smtp and ftp services external to my private
network. Http and ftp seem to be pretty simple. I have some questions
about SMTP.

I have postfix running on the DMZ machine and it gets all of the mail
external to me. My private/protected network has a mail server that I
use to send mail. The INTERNAL network can pop/imap the mail from the
DMZ machine but in order for me to do this the DMZ machine has to have
the user name and password. This seems to be a security risk not to
mention extra administration. I have to create users twice to make this
work.

Is there a better way to do this?

--
Anthony Hologounis