backup and disaster recovery

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
29 Oct 2002 21:49:35 -0800

--=-vCDcw9Zi3xWGi8C9rapQ

> Locked files?  I've heard of them in Unix, but I have never seen one in
> over 5 years of Unix/Linux use.

Some applications still use these, but they are rare.  One that I can
think of in particular is ClearCase.  It locks everything down, so thus,
is a bitch to back up.  But Unix/Linux support reader/writer locks on
files.  Most of the time you can read a file.

> I would try to be smart about what I mirror.  You don't need to copy a
> file that hasn't changed, so I would run find / -ctime -1 to get a list
> of files whose status has changed in the last day, and mirror those.=20
> Next, you have to account for deleted files.  I can think of a few
> ways.  The one I used was running find periodically and using diff to
> see what is missing from the last time I ran it.  Delete those files.

What I use for this is rsync.  It is designed to keep to directories in
sync, you can force it to use a local file system instead of a remote
one.  I like backing things up over SSH using rsync.  But that is for
home use, I've never used a scheme like that in a production
environment.  YMMV.

		Have fun,
			Ted

--=-vCDcw9Zi3xWGi8C9rapQ