SUSE 8.0 install problem any ideas?

Ernest Baca plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:37:40 -0700

Pete,

The only problem I have with changing the ide's and chunking the promise
card is that the machine I am installing it on was built specifically for
Computer Forensic work.  Actually, I need all 4 IDE ports at certain times.
The Primary master actually goes to a port where I can plug in a drive to
image it.  I have actually hung drives and populated all the ide ports and
no go.  The other problem is that the system was custom built for
portability.  The case is almost impossible to open without knowing how to
repack it.  I usually have to send it back to get it repaired.  Stinks, but
thats what I get and I have to work with it.  I could have built a better
machine myself for half the money.  I use my laptop and firewire drive bays
for field work anyways.  Oh well, like I said, I solved to prob by getting a
copy of suse 8.1.  Although, I may be switching soon to redhat....

>From: Peter Buechler <peter.buechler@cox.net>
>To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us, "Ernest Baca"
><erniebaca@msn.com>
>Subject: Re: SUSE 8.0 install problem any ideas?
>Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:53:39 -0700
>
>On Friday 25 October 2002 09:52 am, Ernest Baca wrote:
> > I try to boot into rescue.  The support people sent me some instructions
>on
> > booting into rescue then sending them a file.  Same problem.  My cdrom
>goes
> > into lala land because it is hooked up to the motherboard controller
>which
> > is not recognized.  When I responded to suse with that problem they sent
> > back an e-mail telling me that they would have to charge for further
> > support which I won't do since they can't even figure it out themselves.
> > read the problem with the promise controller cards.  It seems to be a
> > problem with thier raid cards.  This is just a standard promise ata133
> > card.
>
>I've never been much impressed by SuSE's support myself. They did not even
>answer my last question to them by e-mail. Sad. I used to be able to get
>answers directly from the developers, but now that I do not work with them
>do not feel that I should bother them. So I switched to Gentoo.
>
>I am almost out of ideas. There is one more, but you may not want to do it
>for
>some reason.
>
>I think that you are actually supposed to populate the IDEs completely in
>order, without skipping any spots. So for example, the common practice of
>making the disk the master on one IDE and the CD-ROM the master on another
>is
>actually not strictly kosher (although I have never seen it fail). One
>should
>have both the master and slave populated on IDE0 before going on to IDE1.
>So
>in your case, I would move the disk drives to IDE0, as the master and
>slave.
>Then leave the CD-ROM on IDE1 as the master. Do not use the Promise board.
>
>If the onboard controller is not as fast as the Promise board, and you want
>that ATA-133 speed, then disable the on-board controller using the BIOS,
>place the disk drives on the first IDE port for the Promise controller as
>master and slave and place the CD-ROM on the second port of the Promise
>controller as the master.
>
>-Pete-

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.