red hat & win2000 peer-to-peer

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
25 Oct 2002 05:56:51 -0700

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 02:59, Dan wrote:
> Apparently, I am not as smart as I thought I was.
>
> I edited the /etc/smb.conf file to include:
> workgroup = workgroupname
>
> The concept of making Linux a WINS server is intreging, but not necessary
> for me yet.  I do not mind the broadcast traffic, so as my understanding
> goes ... I can skip the WINS server information for now while my
> peer-to-peer network must broadcast to find host not in the arp cache.
>
> My current problem is that I do not see any reference to the shared windows
> directories (on the windows box).  I am using File Manager - Super user mode
> in KDE to search for the shares.
>
> Using my primitive windows thinking, I would expect to see the workgroup
> shared folders in the root directory (in windows my computer shows network
> shares even if they are workgroups).
>
> Am I looking in the wrong place or is something else awry?

-----
I have seen Windows XP list identifiable shares within the first level
of the network browser but I don't recall that happening on any other
version.

On linux, you can use 'linneighborhood' which provides a browser with
similar functionality. If you have Gnome installed, I believe that you
can use Nautilus to browse by typing smb:// into the address bar (smb:)
with RH 8.

Craig