tar does not like me

Dallas Helquist plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Oct 2002 17:14:20 -0600

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:51, George Gambill wrote:
<snip>
> Tried tar -t rdeskt~1.gz
> Tried tar -t rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz
> Tried tar -tg rdeskt~1.gz
> Tried tar -tg rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz
> Tried tar -xg rdeskt~1.gz
> Tried tar -xg rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz
> Tried tar -xg rdeskt~1.gz
> Tried tar -xg rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz
> Tried several more combinations.
>
> Tar either locked up or I needed more patience.  Ctrl-c brouthe me back to
> the command line.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Any ideas?
> 2) How can I see the real name of "rdeskt~1.gz without the "~" getting in
> the way?
> 3) can I tar from the GUI?
>
> Oh, and by the way, You Folks Are GREAT (yelling intended)
> George

Try this: tar -xzvf rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz

That will extract it in the current directory (assuming also that
rdesktop-1.1.0.tar.gz is current dir as well).  At that point, it's just
a matter of cd'ing to the new rdesktop-1.1.0 dir and following their
instructions for installing.

Oh, fyi - here are what the flags do: x==expand archive,
z==compress/uncompress archive (gzip format), v==be verbose, f==file to
untar/tar

-dallas