Root Kit Information

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:44:41 -0700

This box has been offline (actually powered off) for several weeks and I'm just now getting around to performing some
analysis on it.  When I discovred some strange behavior with some of the system utils (ps, ls, etc) I became suspious
and pulled the network connection.  After saving some static html files, I powered the unit off.
>From my reading on the web regarding ShowTee, I've confirmed everything you mentioned below.  I believe they got in via
a vulnerable version of wu-ftpd.  This server was running 2.6.0 (I believe).

Do you think that this root kit would be able to capture passwords from other hosts on the network?  For example: while
this infected box was on the network, it captured the login password from the infected box.  Could it have captured
passwords when I logged into another machine on the network?

I have changed passwords for all the boxes on the network just to be safe.
Thanks,
Peter