Where are the infamous man.pages?

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:28:41 -0500

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 07:02:15PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
 At last! A ray of light in my clouded mind!

Mike:
One of the things I did when first learning *nix was periodically
sit down with my favorite beverage and read man pages.
Some I read from top to bottom, others, I just read the description
and bailed onto the next.

If you find yourself adventurous, do something like:

cd /bin; ls
man <whatever grabs your eye>

cd /sbin; ls
man <whatever grabs your eye>

cd /usr/bin; ls
man <whatever grabs your eye>

cd /usr/sbin; ls
man <whatever grabs your eye>

That kept me occupied for quite some time, and I learned
quite a bit. Also, there may be some docs on your system.
Try:

cd /usr/doc; ls
cd <whatever grabs your eye>
Most of these files are just plain ASCI text, so you
can just:
less <whatever grabs your eye>
or
zless <whatever grabs your eye> (for gzip'd doc files)

Hopefully this info should help you out a bit.

v/r
-Mike