RPM is confused

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
22 Oct 2002 14:18:29 -0700

One more thing.
If you are trying to put a new version of an RPM on a system you will
want to use -U or --upgrade instead of install since upgrade will remove
the old version and put the new version on in it's place.  It will also
done some configuring sometimes if it needs to be done (but nothing like
is offered with debconf on debian :)

Upgrading is really the way you are going to want to go, since if you
try and remove a package that is needed by other packages you would have
to remove dozens of other packages as well, and then have to put them
all back on, where and upgrade will just let the system know that you
will be putting an equivelent package back in the old packages place and
it doesn't have to cry about missing dependencies.

Brian Cluff