RPM is confused

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:41:27 -0700

Greetings!

	It seems like I have had this problem in the past, but I don't think I have
ever solved it.  I am trying to install a library .rpm file.

"rpm --install=<packagename>.rpm"
 returns
*<specified> is already installed.*
which then leads me to type ...
"rpm --erase=<packagename>.rpm"
which returns
*<specified> is not installed on this system*

	This wouldn't be all that big of a deal except that I recently fresh
installed RH8 on my main system, and I really need these libraries for Xine.
My Enterprise episode collection is going unwatched and they are lonely....
;)

Rundown:
RH 8.0 fresh install on Athlon
very few (if any, I forget) non-RH supplied packages or tars installed yet
(getting xine working again is one of my first projects.)

Thanks!!
Kyle Faber

PS. I realize that apt-get will probably be suggested as a solution to this
problem.  Debian is installed on a different machine, the machine I can
break.  This machine is where I try to keep things stable (since I sometimes
think I know what I am doing when it comes to RH, not Debian)  so thanks
anyway  ; )