WalMart / Lindows Evaluation

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:57:03 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Ed Skinner so:

> WalMart / Lindows Evaluation
> Ordered from walmart.com 10/02/02
> Shipment Received 10/18/02
> Evaluation Written 10/21/02

>      "mount -t nfs xxx:/opt/music /music" took several minutes to complete.
> Not sure why but, once it finished, accesses to /music appeared to go
> normally with no untoward delays. (System xxx runs RedHat 7.1 with a 2.4.9-34
> RedHat built kernel.)
>      Netscape 7.0 and Konqueror x.x appear to hang in similar manners.
> Because of the commonality, I suspect the problem is not in either tool but
> in some other "common" point. Copying 8+ Gigabytes via ftp over the network
> went smoothly, however, so the basic network seems to be Okay.

NFS and browser issues points to a DNS issue. Konq and Netscape were having
problems going to web sites in general or just to the NFS server?

Look at /etc/resolv.conf. Check that your hostname is with 127.0.0.1 and
localhost in /etc/hosts. Check that you have a proper reverse DNS entry.

>      Automatically logs the user in as "root" upon powerup. (Mega-dangerous
> for newbies!) No apparent mechanism to change this. Considering my spouse's

Ugh, arghh, gack, adsfajsdkl*#@$#dfs#$%$asdf

ah, the men in the nice white coats showed up, I'm feeling much better
now...

>      Although I rarely use floppies anymore, and therefore I didn't think I
> would care that there isn't one, there *is* a /mnt/floppy mount point and,
> when browsing through /mnt on my way to an NFS mount (/mnt/music) I had
> added, XMMS's file open window got "stuck" presumably trying to scan the
> non-existent hardware device. (I have *not* verified if adding a floppy drive
> will solve this annoyance -- the WalMart shipment includes the necessary
> signal cable and I'll be adding a floppy drive shortly just to avoid this
> nuisance.)

Is it using automount or something like that? Based on the behavior I would
say it is. Remove the floppy entry from there. Removing the /mnt/floppy
directory might work as well.

>      Printed documentation consisted of a "Microtel Computer System"
> installation ("plug the keyboard here") guide [a 12 page booklet containing 2
> pages of "meat"], a WalMart.com "Return Label" (for return shipment if
> needed), and a User's Manual for the motherboard (GA-6VEM series, GBT
> Technology, Hamberg Germany).

German mobo, that's good. Ja, da läuft 'was. ;-)

>      Lindows is a Debian derivitive. I'm more familiar with RedHat and, from

It is? Cool. Didn't know that. There's hope for them yet :). I'll probably
still install debian from scratch.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but