xhost & dns?

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:13:56 -0500

Hmmm, It seems as if 'xhost' needs to do a nameserver query
before it will report anything? For some reason (probably
self inflicted) every time I now issue the command 'xhost'
it hangs for quite a while, then will report the list.

I have (for the time being) blocked many things at the FW,
one of which is port 53; therefore, I can see the requests
getting blocked each time I issue the command.

Is there any way around this? I do have a /etc/hosts entry
for the client, and the client is the only one I added via
'xhost +client'. Yet it still wanders off to the nameservers.

-Mike