A problem.

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
21 Oct 2002 06:34:10 -0700

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 18:55, Lee Levine wrote:
> If I'm trying to install libstdc++ why do I get libstdc++ is needed by
> libstdc++-devel-2.96-112 ?
> That just doesn't make any sense to me!
> I'm not trying to do anything with libstdc++-devel-2.96-112!
>
> Lee
> --
> Who is getting really pissed off with Linux!

-----
take a deep breath and consider that it's not linux that's pissing you
off, it's the fact that you don't understand it yet.

if you type...

rpm -qa|grep libstdc

you will get a list of rpm's that are installed that relate to the
libstdc.

This will most certainly include
libstdc++-2.96-112
libstdc++-devel-2.96-112

you can't change one without changing the other. Not sure why you would
want to change either without knowing what you are doing as probably
this is a Redhat installation.

For basic updates on redhat, you should stick with up2date until you get
comfortable with the system.

i.e. to install uw-imap...

up2date imap

it would be helpful, if you gave just a few more bits of information
when asking the questions... i.e. distro & version, what you are trying
to accomplish - not just the command that doesn't work.

Craig