Me again, Thanks in advance for your patience

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Oct 2002 20:05:39 -0700

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 19:17, Frank burton wrote:
> Alright I'm back Again!!!
> OK so here's where I'm at, RH 8 on a compaq laptop tried to  get my modem working with some drivers I downloaded, didn't work. Someone suggested I try wvdialer or minicom. Now being brand new to linux I was a little confused so searched the net to find more info. found a bit here and there then started experimenting.
> So here is where I'm at right now. I'm trying wvdialer. logged in as root I typed wvdialer. here is the response.
> -->Wvdialer: Internet dialer version 1.53
> -->Warnig: section [Dialer Defaults] does not seem to exist in wvdialer.conf.
> -->Inintializing modem
> >Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> -->modem initialized
> -->Configuration doesn't specify a valid phone number
> or login in name or password.
>
> SO OK I'm thinking this means I need to configure wvdialer. Problem is I don't have any clue how to do this.
> I tried [root@localhost etc]# wvdialer.conf
> which didn't work but I'm not surprised because I'm pretty clueless about command lines and I kind of make them up til I find one that works (not as root though,  that scares me)
> Anyway I realize I have posted a lot of questions as of late and I'm amaze at the amount of help I've gotten, but I have spent a lot of time on the web trying to figure stuff out before I come here.
> Thanks
----
wish I could help you but I have never used a modem with linux.

if there is a file /etc/wvdial.conf
then to edit it, try emacs /etc/wvdial.conf as root

I would presume that somewhere in one of the menus, there is a wvdialer
and it should have the ability to edit preferences from within
somewhere.

Craig