I need some help please???

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:08:49 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, William Lindley wrote:

> Good questions.  some half answers:
>
> Floppies other than connected to the archaic floppy port are difficult to
> use under Linux... all my systems have LS-120 floppy drives (yes, these
> read and write standard 1.44 floppies) connected to the IDE port; and in
> several years, I've never been able to get "make boot disk" or "format
> floppy" to work under any flavor of Linux.  Discouraging.
I have an LS-120 on my RH box. mkfs /dev/hdb works for me. I haven't
gotten a boot disk to work right either, but I believe that's because I'm
using the LS-120 kernel module instead of compiled into the kernel.
Basically, the module can't get loaded because the module isn't loaded and
the kernel can't read the device. Someday I plan to work on this issue for
this box.... in the mean time hitting ctrl+F2 gives another console when
booting from the cd and allows cli interaction with the file system.

--
Patrick Fleming, EA
http://myhdvest.com/patrickfleming