/usr/include/linux

Kevin Geiss plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:35:11 -0700

the kernel headers in /usr/include are the ones that your glibc were
compiled against. you should leave them alone, unless you also recompile
glibc against a new kernel (not recommended, that's what distribution
maintainers do)

to put a new custom kernel on, put it anywhere you want,
and keep the tree around.  (I actually put it in
/usr/src/linux-really-long-detailed-version-name, but leave all the
symbolic links alone; be careful though because most kernel trees will
extracte to a directory called 'linux', so you might extract it in /tmp
then mv it to the location and name you want)

The only thing you need to 'install' is the compiled kernel image to
/boot and the modules, under /lib/modules. (make modules_install will
install the modules for you). and of course add a new entry for your
boot manager.

later, if you compile something that needs to use the new kernel you are
currently running, when you configure the package you tell it where your
custom kernel tree is.