KLEZ Virus

Shawn Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:14:09 -0700

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:43:16PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> apt rocks and debian stable is rock solid ( well except at that point where
> it uninstalled open office, truly a feature, but not one I was seeking at
> the time ).

OpenOffice sucks anyway.  I just finally tried it; I see it still likes
to install as a single-user app.  I couldn't find the "network install"
option that was supposed to be in the installer.  Now it will only run
as root, and terribly slow too on my Athlon 1.2 with 512 megs.  No excuse
whatsoever for such performance.

A recruiter demanded my resume in .doc format and so I imported my html
version and fixed it all up nice and pretty, printed one and saved it in
Word97 format.  When the recruiter printed it from actual MS Word, some
text was going at 90 degrees up the side of the page.  I think I will try
doing my resume in TeX one of these days, because then I can export to RTF
and HTML and also get nice paper formatting.

I also tried Ted.  It seems to be the nicest RTF editor for Linux I've seen
- it has the important features and omits the unimportant ones, runs really
fast and isn't bloated at all.  But it did crash, and it has a bug so that
menu accelerators don't seem to work, which was very annoying.  I imagine
that's a short-term thing.

I also like AbiWord but it refused to import any HTML that I tried
("improper format" or some such, even when I had only a very simple document
with proper head and body sections, document type header, and XHTML style
tags).  I didn't manage to import RTF saved from Ted either, if memory
serves.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org