Updating the kernal (KFC anyone)

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:44:21 -0700 (MST)

Am 18. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Michael Havens so:

> I only wanted to update my kernal because I read somewhere that I need to
> have an updated kernal. The phrase used implied that the one included with
> the distribution wasn't good enough. I was just going about doing what I
> was instructed too.  I run redhat 7.3. If that is good enough, then great!

Look for the Errata on Red Hat's site ( used to be www.RedHat.com/errata, I
think ). You'll find updated packages there.

Generally the way to update a kernel is to install a newer kernel package,
then reboot. I believe 2.4.9-18 or 2.4.9-19 is what I've had recommended to
me for Red Hat 7.3.

I don't remember if Red Hat's update takes care of lilo for you. If it
doesn't you'll boot back to the old kernel, but we can help you finish the
update. If it handles lilo you should get the new kernel upon rebooting.

Then again, I think Red Hat 7.3 used grub, which should make things easier.

You should check Red Hat's errata for security updates on a regular basis.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans