Xmms and RH8

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
17 Oct 2002 19:42:25 -0700

--=-JNcNFRhOKqiyJ+IGmq81

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:25, Scott wrote:
> Not so easy to do.  MP3s, for better or worse, are already entrenched in=20
> the market.  Just look at the number of devices - car radios, portable cd=
=20
> players, etc - that have the ability to play MP3s.  Ogg may be a "better"=
=20
> format due to all the IP insanity, but at this time Ogg is to MP3 what=20
> Beta was to VHS.
>=20
> Switching to/supporting one format over the other is not the answer. =20
> Addressing all of this IP BS and patent bs (and their supporting tyrants)=
=20
> and coming up with a workable solution is where all efforts should be=20
> focused.

I agree it is not 'easy', but then again folks didnt think that CD's
would replace Cassette tapes, or DVDs replace VHS.  I think already you
are seeing more and more devices supporting .ogg and it will only grow.=20
If you are making a music appliance on meager profit margins, the last
thing you want to do is license a 'player'.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org