MP3 to OGG converter? (Was: Re: Xmms and RH8)

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:01:45 -0400

I certainly am surpized at the forceful expression of your opinion here.  But
then, Linux users are of the independent type.

I take it you don't like Red Hat?  ;^)

Personally, I can understand where Red Hat is coming from on the MP3 issue.
They are a highly visible company with real assets.  An owner of a patent has
come forward claiming that they will start enforcing royalties on users of
that patent.  Red Hat would be a ripe target, percieved to have deep pockets.
By not including MP3 support in the distro, they have removed the bulls-eye
that the patent enforcers may have already placed on them.

So, setting aside any philosophical "propaganda," what Red Hat did was very
practical from a business standpoint.  They removed the snakes fangs before he
could bite.

Alan

On 17 Oct 2002 11:35:53 -0700 yarddog <yarddog@yarddog.org> wrote:
> wow, such propaganda! it would be better to try
> another distro.
AND