Xmms and RH8

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
17 Oct 2002 09:35:33 -0700

--=-XunY+MJw1x7IN9GwGWCX

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 09:03, Matt Alexander wrote:
> What specifically doesn't work?  If you mean it doesn't play MP3 files,
> then that's correct.  RedHat didn't want to be liable for any of the MP3
> nonsense so they didn't include the mpg123 plugin.  Go to http://xmms.org
> and download the xmms-mpg123 RPM, and you'll be set.

Specifically Red Hat is a good member of the free software community.=20
Despite trashings on slashdot and elsewhere.  They do not wish to break
patent law or succumb to inferior patents by paying patent levies to
arrogant "intellectual property" (sic) tyrants.

The right answer is not 'download the xmms-mpg123' rpm.  The right
answer is use .ogg format instead.  Demand it from those whom you trade
music with.  So that mp3 will go away. ;)

I say this because there may come a day in which you wont be able to
freely download xmms-mpg123 either.  It is better to free your self from
the mp3 patent now, instead of when its too late. ;)

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org