OSX for Unix development

Joel Dudley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:32:22 -0700

  I have used OSX for UNIX development and soon plan to use it as my
primary development OS here at work. As far as the marketability of OSX
programming skills, I cannot attest to that. I can tell you that Apple
is still popular among researchers and that you will find the OSX/Linux
combo to be prevelent in hot research areas like bioinformatics,
proteomics, genomics (my trades).  I don't see OSX replacing LINUX on
the server side of things for applications such as life science
clusters, but there has been a lot of interest in the XServ on various
life sciences mailing lists.

Joel Dudley
Faculty Research Associate
Arizona State University
Center for Evolutionary and Functional Genomics
http://lsweb.la.asu.edu/skumar/