Spam.

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:32:04 -0700

Spamcop.net is a good place to report spamers to.  ISP's tie into their
database for filtering/blocking.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Steve
Holmes
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 9:22 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Spam.

Comments were recently made about replying to the sender of some
spam.  I would only do this with the private stuff that gets
forwarded/forwarded/forwarded from your friends or relatives.  *NEVER*
reply to "commercial" or "big time" spammers! They just use that as a
confirmation.  It seems like the majority of my spam stops coming if I
simply delete and ignore.  I realize this may be hard to take if you
get 50 spams a day or something:).

I have also forwarded (with headers expanded) heavy porn or money
laundering schemes to abuse@<domain>.com.  I have to take a good guess
from the expanded headers to do this but I think it has yielded some
interesting results.

Some good auto filtering techniques would be interesting though.
thanks for the snippets in a previous message.  They warrent some
close study.