Reading Berkely DB

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:24:38 -0700

On Oct 14,  9:54am, Sundar wrote:

> Is there any  program that could dump what's in the Berkeley DB to text
> file or display it in human readable form?

As I recall, Berkeley DB provides facilities to look up some arbitrarily
formatted data given an arbitrarily formatted key.  The structure of the
key and its associated data are determined by the program making use of
the Berkeley DB library.

So... a program that does what you want would have to know the format
of the keys and data.  That said, there are some programs that have
been written for certain applications of Berkeley DB that will do what
you want, but only for those applications.  E.g, the ``makemap'' program
is used to create sendmail databases in Berkeley DB format.  The -u
option may be used to print the contents of these databases in human
readable form.

Kevin