Broadband in Scottsdale?

Ray Van Dolson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:57:24 -0700

---
Note to Moderator: I accidentally composed this using the wrong email
address.  Sorry for the double send.
---

Thanks again everyone for the replies and advice.  I'm used to living in
small towns--the many locale options in Scottsdale definitely don't make this

any easier!  Normally I only have a couple apartment complexes to choose
from, and like two ISP's :D  Here's what I've garnered so far for my target
location (North Scottsdale):

Qwest VDSL
	1Mbps up/down
	$49.95/mo
	$99.95 installation

	Pros: Speed, availability
	Cons: Possibly need to also have Qwest cable (apt comes with Cox)

	Questions
	Can I get this standalone?
	If I need Qwest cable also, is NBA League Pass available?
	Are ports blocked?
	Is IP address assignment static or dynamic?

Cox Cablemodem (Business)
	Couldn't find specific details on Business Cablemodem online

	Pros: Is available in North Scottsdale
	Cons: Price?  I have heard speeds are slower than home Cable

	Questions:
	Static IP?
	Speed?
	Info!?

Deru.Net
	1Mb/sec
	$30-$60/mo + Qwest fee
	$30-$40 setup fee

	Pros: Smaller ISP, Linux based, tech support, server-friendly
	Cons: Nothing in North Scottsdale

SpeakEasy.net
	Many speed options
	$59 - $90 + /mo (depending on config)

	Pros: Speed, server friendly, good price
	Cons: No service in North Scottsdale, users on PLUG reported
	Speakeasy wasn't good in Phoenix

If anyone can fill in the info I have ?'s on, that'd be great, otherwise I
will be calling tomorrow.  I imagine DSL CO's will be moving into North
Scottsdale eventually, so I may just go with Cox until then.  I really like
the apartment I found up there, so as long as I can get some sort of high
speed inet there, I think I'll be happy.

Thanks again,
Ray Van Dolson