GNOME or KDE?

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
11 Oct 2002 22:21:46 -0700

--=-YKccpnDU0W7Ahfwx3C+X

> 1) does this 433 celeron have enough horsepower for GNOME or KDE?

Hell ya, especially with that much RAM.  I think you'll find that you
need more RAM than CPU speed to run the two environments.  My desktop is
a 400 Mhz Celeron...  I see no real reason to upgrade (except that my
CPU fan just died :(

> 2) which of the two is better suited for a new Linux GUI user?

I think that you'll probably get as many different answers as there are
people on this list.  I came up the same way that you did, CLI, then X,
and now I use GNOME.  One of the big reasons for me is that everything
in GNOME is C based, which means that you can basically extend it in any
language possible (except FORTRAN).  I think any set of libraries that
has Ada bindings has been ported to everything.  I also think that most
of the architecture decisions that have been made on GNOME are more
forward thinking than those made on KDE, IMHO KDE is going to have lots
of growing pains in the next few years.

Also, it sounds like you are using other Unicies - GNOME is going to
become standard for Solaris and HPUX in the future.  I don't know where
AIX is going though.

> 3) are there any good open source development environments
> available (replacement for visual studio or codewrite)?

This depends most on the environment that you choose.  The presenter at
the development meeting last week was using KDevelop which looked really
nice for KDE.  Adjunta is a great environment for GNOME.  But as was
noted earlier, VIM has syntax highlighting (and that's all I use :).  If
you want to get used to it, I know you can put Codewright in VI mode.

	Good luck,
		Ted

--=-YKccpnDU0W7Ahfwx3C+X

--=-YKccpnDU0W7Ahfwx3C+X--