a little shell problem

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:57:42 -0700 (MST)

Am 11. Oct, 2002 schwätzte John Olson so:

> This is kind of a kluge, but it works:
>
> CLIENTS="`echo ~user1`
> `echo ~user2`"

Congrats. You almost got it :).

CLIENTS=`echo ~fred ~anke ~georg ~uwe ~matthias`

The improvement is to just make it one sub-shell rather than multiple
sub-shells. Makes a big difference if you're doing this for 1000's of
accounts.

>  for X in $CLIENTS ; do
>    ls $X
>  done
>
> Note that's a back-tick, not a single quote.

Lynn's known what backticks are for more years than he wants me to mention
on a public list :), but you have no way of knowing that through a mailing
list. There's probably people besides Lynn looking at the answers anyway.

We still need a way to do:

for $username in $users
do
	userdir=~$username
done

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans