Broadband in Scottsdale?

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:09:12 -0700

On Thursday 10 October 2002 16:22, Voltage Spike wrote:

> On Thursday, October 10, 2002, at 03:20 PM, der.hans wrote:
> > That would be bad for DSL. Cox consumer somewhat randomly
> > blocks/unblocks
> > ports. Business services allow you to run what you want. A business
> > connection isn't much more, but has a much lower downstream limit.
>
> It isn't really random port-blocking . . . more of a reactionary port
> blocking.  Whenever a big virus/worm/whatever comes along, they seem to
> shut down access to that service until things cool down.  However, I
> (using Cox) don't run public servers and it hasn't been a problem for
> me to run on non-privileged ports.
>
> However, I should warn you that customers don't get a DNS entry(*)
> since Cox took over the network.  Also of note is that your IP address
> is almost guaranteed to change if the cable modem loses power for a few
> minutes (possibly making self-registration a bit of a hassle).
>
> Also note that I lose connectivity every night between midnight and
> 1:00 for random amounts of time.
>
> Other than that, my connection is quick and low-priced.  I am a fairly
> satisfied customer.
>
> * In point of fact, you do get name, but that name includes the IP
> address so that it is worthless.  I believe this also prevents you from
> using a service like dyndns.org
> - --
>                                                             Voltage Spike

If you're willing to put up $5/year for dhs.org, you can edit one of the ip
update scripts to not only handle any IP changes (cron.hourly job on my
system), but it can handle redirecting web addresses to non-standard ports.
wokan.n3.net redirects to http://myip:4040/~wokan/ while wokan.2y.net is a dns
entry for my system in that domain.  (IOW:  I can SSH or IMAP to that address
instead of having to see where the n3.net redirector points.  And I'm sure
thanks to the wonder of online archiving, I've just begged for a hacking.)