Broadband in Scottsdale?

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:20:21 -0700 (MST)

Am 10. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Ray Van Dolson so:

> Hi all, I'm moving to the Scottsdale area (from California) in the next
> couple weeks.  I'm wondering what all of you recommend as far as broadband
> access goes.  I have a couple Linux/BSD boxes so I'm hoping to have a
> geek-friendly ISP that doesn't block any ports (I hear Cox does).  I'm
> looking at the Sonoran Vista apartments on East Redfield Road.
> SpeakEasy's (DSL) webpage tells me they're about 20k from the CO which
> isn't too good :)

That would be bad for DSL. Cox consumer somewhat randomly blocks/unblocks
ports. Business services allow you to run what you want. A business
connection isn't much more, but has a much lower downstream limit.

> Anyways, just wanted to see if someone could give me a little feedback on
> either ISP's or decent apartment complexes within SpeakEasy (or comperable
> ISP)'s range.

If you can go DSL look at Deru and FastQ.

I know a wireless provider that won't block ports, but they cost a couple
hundred per Meg and sell in one Meg increments.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "The reasons for my decision to quit were myriad, but central to the