MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:41:26 -0700 (PDT)

> From: David Mandala <davidm@them.com>
> Sorry my bad explanation you keep the user
> accounts on the NIS server
> and normally keep the root and systems accounts
> on each server and
> desktop. That way if the NIS system is down or
> networking is down the
> admins can get on the local system. There are
> ways to cache the NIS data
> but not normally done.
>
> You could put all of the data on the NIS server
> but that is normally not
> done since if the cache expired and the NIS
> server was not able to be
> reached you would be completely unable to
> access the machines.

OK, I see how that would work for desktops within
the company's walls, but if you don't cache the
user account data on the local machine, then when
a user has their laptop out "on the road", they
wouldn't be able to fire it up, including meaning
they then couldn't dial in to the company
network.  Or would they use yet another (local)
account to log in locally first?  Similarly,
desktop users wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING on
their machines if a NIS server was unavailable.
That all correct?  What solutions to these issues
exist in the *nix world?  Does LDAP offer a way
out?

Thanks!

.