Debian and RAID

John Kloian III plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:23:49 -0700 (MST)

answers below:

John

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Miles Beck wrote:

>> 3 #cat /proc/partitions
>>
>> 4 see if you can see the partition that your new raid device is on
>> (check sizes etc)
>
>I do not have the boot cd but by moving the master drive back to the
>non-raid controller I was able to see the partitions file. Below is what you
>asked for. At this point I have no idea what to do, ;)
>
> 114     0  117220792 ataraid/d0
> 114     1     248976 ataraid/d0p1
> 114     2     996030 ataraid/d0p2
> 114     3    2000092 ataraid/d0p3
> 114     4          1 ataraid/d0p4
> 114     5     248976 ataraid/d0p5
> 114     6    2000061 ataraid/d0p6
> 114     7     248976 ataraid/d0p7
> 114     8     248976 ataraid/d0p8
> 114     9  111225996 ataraid/d0p9

since you are using a new controller it is correct that the devices that
you were mounting for your various partions have moved.  Do you notice
below that /dev/hda has nine partition (i.e. hda1, hda2....hda9)?  Also
notice that there is a device called /dev/ataraid/d0 with nine partitions
(i.e. d0p1, d0p2....d0p9) this is your raid device.  You need to edit your
lilo.conf and fstab to point to the /dev/ataraid/d0px partions instead of
/dev/hdax partions.  For instance if in your fstab has something like the
following to mount your root or / partition:

/dev/hda2       /

you would change it to read:

/dev/ataraid/d0p2	/

and so on.

also in your /etc/lilo.conf

you would want to change the boot= and root= lines to point to the new
devices.

for instance if your lilo.conf read this:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda2

you would want to change it to read:

boot=/dev/ataraid/d0
root=/dev/ataraid/d0p2

and then you would re-run lilo.

You should be careful about which device your bios is using to boot from
and in which order, this may end up being a bit tricky for a newcomer to
linux since you already have a system that is set-up to point to /dev/hda
for everything (don't get me wrong, it's not impossible or even that hard,
its just that there are certain things that need to be done in order for
it to work right).  There are some gotchas with lilo and your BIOS lurking
out there.  Since it is really hard to explain all scenarios via email
another option could be for you to put both your drives on the raid
controller and do a fresh install on the raid device, however, this can
also contain some problems if your installation kernel is not capable of
recognizing the raid device (A good way to tell would be to boot with the
install boot cd and then look at the output from dmesg to see if it found
the raid device).

Maybe someone out there can expand on what I've said to make this make
more sense if it seems unclear or hard to follow.