Converting a MS company to Linux

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
09 Oct 2002 11:27:25 -0700

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 17:35, Tom Emerson wrote:
> Redundant routers, dual NIC'd desktops, double Ethernet wiring,
Not so much worried about individual desktops as we have cold spares
that can be swapped out in a few minutes.

> geographically seperated utility power feeds,
got it

 ditto UPS & Gen Sets,
got em too

> ditto
> Telcom connections.
Not sure but we do have a pretty intense telcom system but that is not
my department.

 Two of everything?
right now we have two of every production server ~30 (60 with dupes) and
a cold spare for complete parts.

Hmmm, dude, you're getting the
> budget of your dreams!
Was there during the dot com era, thats where we got the
infrastructure.  Now we are a little more conservative with our budget
but still require a lot of redundancy and 5, 9 uptime.

> Better to plan for failure, document and PRACTICE recovering from
> failures.  Eliminating single points of failure can be accomplished, but
>
> the expense to the business often exceeds the amount of risk.
> </rant OFF>
>
> (I'll bet that you are looking to eliminate the single points of failure
>
> that are financially practical to solve, yes?)

We have a requirement to use Linux.  It is becoming the company standard
for all application servers and we are infiltrating the NT domain, lan,
and desktop now.  We are getting a demo IBM Linux cluster
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/hardware/1350.html as our
next toy to play with.  I will post updates as to my experience with the
hardware and system.

--
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head.