Converting a MS company to Linux

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:35:51 -0700 (MST)

Bill, have a peek at Caldera.  I recall a couple of reviews on a
commercial product from them targeted at Enterprise management of Linux
desktops & servers.  Ya, it costs USD$$$, but with 700 desktops to support
you likely already are looking at or you have something like that to keep
them all in sync with updates and whatnot?

<rant ON>
Single point of failure is a tough problem to solve.  I'll make an
assumption that "single point of failure" ties with uptime, high
availability and fault tolerant computing infrastructure.  I've consulted
for very few companies that every fully grasp the cost of 99.999% uptime.
Do you want to do this?  I have done it, it is not cheap.  Please
prepare management for the ordeal of writing many 100,000 to 500,000 USD
checks to accomplish the task.

Redundant routers, dual NIC'd desktops, double ethernet wiring,
geographically seperated utility power feeds, ditto UPS & Gen Sets, ditto
Telcom connections.  Two of everything?  Hmmm, dude, you're getting the
budget of your dreams!

Better to plan for failure, document and PRACTICE recovering from
failures.  Eliminating single points of failure can be accomplished, but
the expense to the business often exceeds the amount of risk.
</rant OFF>

(I'll bet that you are looking to eliminate the single points of failure
that are financially practical to solve, yes?)

Sun has a very nice server failure capability.  The simple
configuration is shared storage is used by two "server" hosts.  One is
hot, one is a warm spare.  The arp'd ethernet address for the IP address
all clients connect to for their NFS (or whatever?) is able to be moved to
the warm spare when the hot server fails.  I think Microsoft's kinda works
in this space too?

There are few products out there to implement this basic server failover
for Linux systems.  Including SAN style storage you can share between the
servers.  Considering the past year's dot com bombs, you'll want to do
some fresh research in this space.  Even the big players are laying off
people, I would hate to purchase from a company that's on the brink of
failure.  A really solid SAN that is accessable by multiple servers can
solve a lot of the data/business continuity headache.  Something really
HA/FT, like able to lose a couple of power supplies and a handful of disks
without kicking out your users.

On the cheap side, CODA sounds promising.  Can it reconnect &
re-authenticate to the warm-standby server?

Can smb or nfs meet the requirement if upon system failure your users
understand that they need only log-out & log-in to keep working?  (kinda
like they would need to do if the primary MS file server died and was
replaced with a warm-spare?)

 - tom e.