MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:51:16 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Oct, 2002 schwätzte Bill Warner so:

> I have been looking into this as well.  NIS works in a way that you can
> basically store half your passwd/shadow/group files on one central
> server.  Sort of an NFS for single files.  I am still looking into LDAP
> as an option.  The only thing that I don't like about the Linux
> authentication options is the fact that unlike windows it typical
> applications don't maintain the authentication, s every time you start a
> web browser you have to re-authenticate with any servers there.  It
> makes for a difficult use experience for the non techies.

Konqueror, Galeon and Mozilla all have options to save passwords. I think
they even default to that.

I turn it off, so I can't say how well it works.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.