Calendaring for a small LAN

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Oct 2002 20:56:11 -0700

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 20:32, Alan Gore wrote:
> I'm looking at a small office with 4 PC's, and about to put in a LAN to
> connect them. None of the PC's are run all the time, so the network would
> either be set up as a peer LAN, ...OR, perhaps I could use one of the cheap
> new Linux boxes as a server. Has anyone used something like the
> much-discussed "Fry's special" as a server for a PC LAN? The PC users are
> running a mixture of Win 98 and Win 2000.
>
> One of the requirements is to install a calendaring system that would allow
> each of the PC users to maintain his own calendar of client meetings, etc.,
> and schedule meetings with other employees. This should include reminders of
> coming events. Has anyone tried implementing something like this in
> MySQL/Apache/PHP, so the PC users could browse it as an intranet
> application?

-----
I wouldn't necessarily recommend a 'cheap' server - spend a little, you
get a little. A good case with 2 fans, good quality motherboard with ATA
100, 512MB RAM should still be under $1000

as for calendar stuff...

<http://www.phpgroupware.org>
<http://www.horde.org>

I would recommend horde but their group calendaring ain't quite done,
it's getting developed fairly rapidly.

Craig