Slightly OT: Community Colleges and Universities

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:11:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- J <eroger@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Regarding Pima Com., check with the
> guys(linux/bsd/unix) at TFUG down in
> Tucson.
> From titme to time Pima has had some good men
> teaching useful material.
> For later, U of A has some good folks.
> Roger
>

> On Friday 04 October 2002 07:49 am, you wrote:
> > I am looking into some college classes for a
> degree, but I am curious to
> > know how the plug feels about the colleges in the
> Maricopa area, including
> > Pima in Tucson, and the reception they have
> towards open source and linux.
> >
> > I would like to stay away from a school that might
> require windows on my
> > laptop. I know a lot of the plug is in college, or
> attending free classes
> > somewhere.
> >
> > Anyone have any opinions?
> > I'm considering South Mountain Com., Mesa Com.,
> Glendale Com., Pima Com.
> > (so far my fav.), and University of Phoenix, but
> always open to
> > re-consideration.
> >
> > Nathan

I'm sure Steve is much more knowledgeable in this area
but it seems at Glendale Community College they force
a lot of Microsoft products down your throat. I've
seen a few open source apps here and there at the high
tech center but I just assumed they were put there by
a student. I have an engineering class this semester
that is HIGHLY dependent on Excel. Not sure if this
helps you any but I thought I'd let you know.